Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pallet Photo Shelf

It's time for my next DIY tutorial!
I got some pallets from work months ago. My hubby was tired of them taking up space in our garage so I had to get crafty! 

Inspired by Amanda Carver Designs Pallet Shelving (found via Pinterest)

 I started by pulling off board on what would be the front of my shelf.


Then I broke out the hand saw to chop off half the pallet since I didn't want it to be the full size of the pallet.

The extra boards from the front then went on the back in between the existing boards. I used a brad nailer and air compressor to attach the boards.

Lastly I needed a shelf on the inside to put my pictures on. I used wood glue and the brad nailer.

I previously had picture frames painted flat black, but to gear it towards the more rustic look I wanted I need to add some taupe paint and coffee glaze.




And the completed project hung up and looking fantastic!


I had no plans and no idea how I was going to make it all work, but it turned out just like I wanted! I'm so happy with my new piece!

Friday, November 9, 2012

Rustic Burlap Wreath Tutorial

While browsing pinterest I came across this wreath:

Rustic Burlap, Ivory and Jute Wreath LOVE



I knew right away I wanted to make it. A couple of weeks ago my neighborhood had a community garage sale. During the treasure hunting I came across a twig wreath for only $1!

Thus my creative mind began doing it's thing...
I grabbed the wreath, some twine I had, scraps of fabric. I used burlap, osnaburg, cream lace and a gold/cream brocade.


Twine from Lowe's or HD.

Fabric
Twig Wreath

Glue gun with 1.5 - 2" fabric strips to create rosettes

Start with knotting the end of the strip. Then twist the fabric clockwise while gluing it down every little bit.

I also created more of a rose looking flower where I started with a knot and just folded the strip in half, gluing every so often.




Also while garage sale-ing I found this "L" for $1. Perfect for our last name.
It was originally a zebra print motif. I painted over that with Valspar's Careless Whisper paint.

Then I glazed it with Martha Stewart's Black Coffee glaze.

I'm not sure I glazed so well...I read after that you're supposed to use a damp cloth. I didn't..but oh well. . .still turned out good!


Final product . . . hanging on our front door!



I only spent $2 on this wreath. Everything else I already had!
I love it!!
Come visit us to see it in person!!



ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...