Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Making the Master Bed

This post has been a draft for...about...a year now. Wow! That is sad. I'm feeling lately like I want to pick back up on posting to at least share with you what I've been working on.

I've had some pretty fun and exciting stuff happen this year that I want to document/share.
But first, let me catch up on some of my older projects!

I found this image a couple of years ago and fell in love with the bed. I decided I was going to make it for us at our new house.

We started by assembling the frame using 2 x 8's.

Then added 2x 4's around the inside of the frame on the long sides to hold the slats that would hold the mattress up.

Next, we added 1x3's along the top and bottom edge of the 2x8's; mitering them at the corners and attaching them with a brad nailer.

I don't think I got a picture of the next step, but you'll see it already completed in the next images. We added cove trim under/inside the 1x3's at the top and bottom. We chose to buy the white cove trim because it was less expensive than the natural finished cove trim.

I painted the trim in Valspar's  Montpelier Ashlar Gray, just like my inspiration blog post did. Then I used Daddy Van's Antique Brown wax over it to age it. I finished it with a matte polyacrylic to protect it.

**In retrospect I don't think regular paint absorbs this wax very good - it wiped off easy. So either look for a chalk or milk paint color or, use a wax that you know can be used with regular latex paint. (I do use a matte or flat paint to help match chalk paint properties but it may not do the best job)

With all that being said I'm still happy with how this turned out, so let's continue! :)

I purchased a natural linen fabric for the upholstered part at Joann's, along with some thicker poly batting. I first used our pneumatic stapler to attach the fabric and batting.

I ordered a white twill tape (which was harder to find than I expected!!) And picked up a ton of the nailhead packs in bronze from Walmart. They are my favorite design and the cheapest option. It just took a few trips to Walmart over several weeks to get as many as I needed.

I measured 2" from center to center of the nailheads for spacing, and attached the twill tape with them.

The feet on the bed are actually treated outdoor post toppers found in Lowe's near the solar post caps. They are the cheapest option with a cool look!

Here's a video to show the bed from all sides.
**On the trim (1x3's and cove) along the head of the bed I didn't go all the way along the back, and I notched out a section for 3 boards to support the headboard.

We finished the bed and moved it upstairs, let Christmas pass, and in January I started on the headboard.

It started with a piece of  plywood. We cut it down to width (trim around edges would add width so we cut plywood 1" more narrow than the desired finished width to have 1/2" cove in the trim along the sides.

I wanted to add my own touch to the bed so I decided to make a curved decorative section at the top.
I played around with a pencil and drew several designs onto the plywood. Once I was happy with it I used the jigsaw to carefully cut out the shape.


 Next I added the same trim I used on the bed frame: 1x3's and cove trim along all front edges.
On the sides the 1x3's hung over 1/2".
On the bottom edge it was flush to the plywood since it would sit on top of the bed frame.
I added 1x3's on the back side as well, but only along the sides, not the top or bottoms.

Since adding the trim make the shaped part recessed I added a 1x10 or 1x8 to the front of the plywood making it flush with the trim. Then I filled in the crack/gap with wood filler.
*Note to others - run your board through the table saw to make sure the edges are straight. It will make less of a gap and make you happier! My finished product has a small crack there, but I call it intentional! :)
I rough cut the top board to the same shape as the plywood with the jigsaw, then used a flush bit on the router to make sure they matched perfectly. That part made me nervous but it worked like a charm!


After all that, I was able to repeat the painting and waxing process.


I found a fancy wood decal we had laying around and decided that would dress up the headboard nicely, so I added that.

Then continued the fabric, trim and nailhead portion of the headboard.


The headboard is done and ready to be brought upstairs and attached to the bed!

And.... the final reveal...!!


Still working on finding the perfect bedding, the white down comforter keeps it feeling fresh and clean for now! Love the finished look!

I hope this tutorial was helpful, or fun to read at least! If you have any questions on creating your own bed please send me a message or leave me a comment! I'd love to help!

Don’t forget to subscribe to get all the latest posts delivered directly to your inbox:

Provided by FeedBurner for Contemporary Harbor

Check out my Facebook page for more inspiration and updates!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...